TN 17 (01-24)

RM 10212.025 Evidence of Name Change based on a US Ceremonial Marriage

Accept all marriage documents issued within the 50 U.S. States, Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, and American Samoa.

Generally, all States recognize the validity of opposite-sex marriages performed in other U.S. States. Therefore, when a person marries in one State and applies in another State to change their name on the SSA record, assume the marriage is recognized, and accept all marriage documents issued by U.S. States.

The term “marriage records” refers to the original marriage record kept by the official custodian. “Marriage documents” refers to the means by which a marriage record is documented. Marriage certificates, souvenir certificates, and certified copies of marriage records are considered marriage documents and acceptable evidence of a name change. Do not require a certified copy of a State-issued marriage record if a marriage certificate (e.g., original certificate of marriage issued by the entity that performed the marriage) is submitted. For a description of acceptable forms of evidence, see RM 10210.085.


  • RM 10212.055, Evidence Required to Process a Name Change on the SSN based on Marriage, Civil Union, or Domestic Partnership

To Link to this section - Use this URL:
RM 10212.025 - Evidence of Name Change based on a US Ceremonial Marriage - 01/18/2024
Batch run: 01/18/2024