TN 8 (02-16)

RM 10212.050 Evidence of Name Change based on a Foreign Marriage or Foreign Same-Sex Marriage

All foreign marriage documents submitted for a name change must be evaluated under the guidelines on reviewing SSN evidence.

Have a foreign marriage document translated, if necessary. To determine who is an authorized translator for SSA purposes, see GN 00301.340.

NOTE: For information or description of a foreign marriage document, refer to GN 00307.000. If GN 00307.000 is silent regarding the country where the name change document was issued, assume the document is acceptable unless RM 10212.050B applies.

A. Acceptable foreign marriage documents

Accept a foreign marriage document that meets the SSN evidence guidelines as evidence of a name change.

B. Acceptable foreign same-sex marriage documents

Accept a foreign marriage document involving a same-sex couple issued by a foreign government that permits same-sex marriages. Consult the chart below to determine the dates when foreign countries or jurisdictions permitted same-sex marriages.

Foreign Country or Jurisdiction

Date Same-Sex Marriages Were Permitted


July 21, 2010


June 1, 2003


May 14, 2013

Canada - Alberta, Prince Edward Island, Northwest Territories, Nunavut

July 20, 2005

Canada - British Columbia

July 8, 2003

Canada - Manitoba

September 16, 2004

Canada - Newfoundland and Labrador

December 21, 2004

Canada - New Brunswick

July 4, 2005

Canada - Nova Scotia

September 24, 2004

Canada - Ontario

June 10, 2003

Canada - Saskatchewan

November 5, 2004

Canada - Quebec

March 19, 2004

Canada - Yukon

July 14, 2004


March 13, 2014


May 17, 2013


November 16, 2015

Mexico - State of Nayarit (Civil Registry)

December 23, 2015


April 1, 2001


January 1, 2009

South Africa

November 30, 2006


July 2, 2005


May 1, 2009

We recognize that other jurisdictions permitting same-sex marriage may exist and that the chart is not intended to be exhaustive. If a foreign same-sex marriage document from a foreign country or jurisdiction is not listed in the chart above, the RO should request a legal opinion from the Regional Chief Counsel on whether the foreign same-sex marriage document is acceptable evidence for a name change. The RCC opinion should provide the date the foreign country or jurisdiction began permitting same-sex marriages for a name change.

C. References

  • GN 00307.000, Foreign Evidence

  • GN 00210.006 Same-Sex Marriages and Non-Marital Legal Relationships Established in Foreign Jurisdictions

  • RM 10210.210 General Information on Reviewing and Verifying Evidence for an SSN Card

  • RM 10212.055, Evidence Required to Process a Name Change on the SSN based on Marriage, Civil Union, or Domestic Partnership

To Link to this section - Use this URL:
RM 10212.050 - Evidence of Name Change based on a Foreign Marriage or Foreign Same-Sex Marriage - 11/22/2017
Batch run: 12/01/2017