TN 24 (07-04)

GN 00308.036 Kentucky Vital Records

A. Process

The Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics (OVS) has birth and death records since January 1, 1911. For earlier birth and death records, contact the Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives.

The Kentucky (OVS) has marriage and divorce records since June 1, 1958. Marriage records are also available from the County Court Clerk in the county in which the license was issued. Divorce records are also available from the Circuit Court Clerk in the county in which the divorce was granted. These Clerks have the records prior to June 1958 as well.

A certificate is available for purchase on the Internet or by phone, mail, or visit to the OVS office.

B. Procedure - State Sources

1. Address and FO Code

Office of Vital Statistics
275 E. Main St. 1E-A
Frankfort, KY 40621

FO Code 441

NOTE: You can find the most up-to-date information from (OVS) . In addition, you can find EIN information here .

2. Cost of Copy:

Birth $10.00 Death/divorce/marriage $6.00

3. Type of Payment:

Check or money order made payable to the Kentucky State Treasurer.

4. Remarks:

Can FO verify, certify, or obtain free copy of a birth record? No

Do not request a birth record or verification from FO 441. Birth record verifications are available through EVVE. If a certified record is needed, the claimant should request his or her own record directly from OVS. If the claimant meets the criteria for SSA purchase of evidence in GN 00301.210, prepare a Third Party Payment made payable to the Kentucky State Treasurer using your office CAN. Send your request directly to OVS.

PATERNITY NOTE: During 2004, full birth certificates were changed to include the questions "Is mother married?" and "If no, has paternity acknowledgement been signed at the hospital?." OVS will provide SSA with the answers to these questions if we present a copy of the standard birth certificate. Send an e562 and fax the standard birth certificate to FO 441.

Can FO verify/certify a death/marriage/divorce record? Yes.

There is no charge for FO 441 to extract pertinent data from a death/marriage/divorce record. Send requests for death/marriage/divorce records to FO 441 via e562. Do not send fax/email/phone requests.

To Link to this section - Use this URL:
GN 00308.036 - Kentucky Vital Records - 10/28/2011
Batch run: 10/28/2011