TN 20 (02-14)

GN 02607.400 Prisoner (Inmate) Reporting Agreements

A. Background on prisoner reporting agreements

Federal, State and local correctional and mental health institutions may report inmate information to the Social Security Administration (SSA) with or without a written agreement. However, if an institution wants to receive incentive payments for its inmate reports, the Social Security Act requires that the institution enter into a written agreement with SSA.

B. Inmate reporting agreements

We offer two types of inmate reporting agreements into which institutions may enter depending on their needs and reporting abilities. The types of agreements are:

  1. the informal reporting agreement (IRA); and

  2. the Title II/Title XVI Incentive Payment Memorandum of Understanding (IPMOU).

In the past, we offered State and local institutions a Computer Matching and Privacy Act Agreement and a formal Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). We now use the formal MOU as a reporting agreement only with the Federal Bureau of Prisons.

Contact your regional prisoner coordinator (RPC) if you have questions regarding reporting agreements, need a template for a reporting agreement, or need a copy of a specific agreement. For RPC contact information, see GN 02607.990. If the RPC cannot provide information about a specific reporting agreement, the RPC should contact the Office of Privacy and Disclosure in Central Office for assistance.

1. IRA

IRAs may be in the form of a signed letter, informal MOU, or verbal agreement.

a. When to use

Use an IRA when an institution:

  • agrees to report inmate data, but does not want to enter a formal agreement; and

  • does not want to receive incentive payments.

b. Incentive payment eligibility

Institutions that enter an IRA are ineligible to receive incentive payments.

c. Inmate report processing

Under an IRA, we must receive and process the inmate reports non-electronically.

2. Title II/Title XVI IPMOU agreements

The IPMOU provides correctional institutions with strict privacy and disclosure protections.

a. When to use

Use a Title II/Title XVI IPMOU when an institution:

  • agrees to report inmate data under a formal agreement; and

  • wants to receive incentive payments.

b. Incentive payment eligibility

Institutions that enter a Title II/Title XVI IPMOU receive incentive payments for inmate reports that lead to suspending payments.

c. Inmate report processing

Under an IPMOU, we can receive and process inmate reports electronically.

C. Reporter responsibilities

When entering a Title II/Title XVI IPMOU, the reporting institution agrees to:

  • submit the Social Security Number (SSN) and other definitive identifying information we need to verify each inmate’s identity;

  • submit an initial report containing total inmate population and subsequent annual inmate census reports if SSA requests them; and

  • submit monthly reports of inmate admissions, convictions, and releases; and

  • notify us of changes in its staff and reporting problems that may affect the institution's monthly inmate reporting cycle.

D. Negotiating reporting agreements

RPCs are responsible for overseeing the reporting agreement negotiation process. Depending upon regional practices, the RPC or the parallel field office (FO) manager negotiates reporting agreements with the appropriate representatives of correctional and mental health institutions.

E. Information necessary for the Incarceration Reporting and Control System (IRCS)

SSA established the IRCS to maintain information on all correctional and mental health institutions that report inmate data to SSA. When an institution signs a reporting agreement, the RPC or parallel FO manager enters information about the agreement and the institution into IRCS. For instructions on adding information to IRCS, see GN 02607.420 and MSOM PRISON 002.001.

To Link to this section - Use this URL: