a) Beneficiary wants to apply the funds to an existing overpayment or give the funds to the Government
as a gift
The ERP check must not be endorsed to the US Government.
The check must be cashed and the funds converted to a personal check or money order.
If they still want to refuse the funds, they have the following options:
· They can apply it to an existing overpayment if the beneficiary asks, see (GN 02403.001). Advise them that the payment must be made in the form of money order or a personal
· They can gift the funds to the government by personal check or a money order, see
(GN 02413.002 through .004). Send the personal check or money order or to the U.S. Department of
Department of Treasury, Financial Management Service
3700 East West Highway
Attn: Credit Accounting Branch
Hyattsville, MD 20782
Include a note or indicate on the memo line of the personal check or money order that
it is for a refusal of ERP.
NOTE: Cash must be converted to a money order.
b) Beneficiary insists on refusing an unendorsed ERP check, take the following action.
· Identify the check to ensure it is an ERP issued by SSA. The ERP check has the words
“Soc Sec Economic Recovery Payment” or “SSI Economic Recovery Payment” below the payee
legend, depending on which entitlement program issued the payment.
· If the check is a Title II or Title XVI ERP, follow steps 3-11 below.
· If the check is an ERP issued by the Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) or Veterans
Administrations (VA), instruct the beneficiary to return the check to the issuing
agency. These checks will have RRB Economic Recovery Payment or VA Economic Recovery
Payment below the payee legend. Do not take any further action.
3. Enter the ERP into the mailroom or reception area log per (GN 02403.004D).
4. Stamp the check “Not Negotiable.”
5. Annotate the check with the reason for return, see (GN 02405.010) and (GN 02405.105).
6. Access the Treasury Check Verification Query (TCVQ) screen to determine the claim
number of the beneficiary. For instructions on how to access the TCVQ screen see MSOM
QUERIES 003.022 .
IMPORTANT: DO NOT write the SSN on the check.
7. Input the returned ERP check into the Debt Management System (DMS) per MSOM DMS
003.006 Field Office Remittance Input (RFOR), with a returned check remittance reason
of “I” (Returned Economic Recovery Payment Check) or “J” (Returned Economic Recovery Payment Check with Limited Payability).
8. Enter the receipt number in the lower right portion of the check, above the solid
9. Give the remitter the remittance receipt produced by DMS.
10. Follow normal returned check procedures in (GN 02405.010C) and (GN 02405.100B) for the remittance clerk.
11. Follow normal returned check procedures in (GN 02405.010D) and (GN 02405.100B) for the Remittance Supervisor.
NOTE:Inform the beneficiary that a replacement ERP is made if any change in address or
bank data occurs prior to December 31, 2010. In this case, a replacement check is reissued. If they still wish to refuse the ERP, they have to return the replacement check.