TN 15 (07-13)

DI 22505.026 Procedures for Developing Evidence from the Federal Bureau of Prisons (FBOP)

A. Where to send an FBOP medical evidence of record (MER) request

Send an FBOP MER request directly to either:

  • The current institution, if the claimant is still incarcerated, or

  • The institution that released the claimant, if the claimant is no longer incarcerated.

NOTE: The FBOP has consolidated medical records so that only one request is necessary, even if the claimant was in multiple federal facilities. To find the correct mailing address:

  1. 1. 

    Access the Federal Prison Facility Locator Address Directory at:

  2. 2. 

    In the Address Type Box select “Staff Mail.”

  3. 3. 

    Select the name of the facility OR the state the facility is in.

  4. 4. 

    Click “Submit.”

B. Special requirements for FBOP MER requests

The requirements in this section supplement general instructions for requesting MER. For FBOP MER requests, include:

  • “ATTENTION Medical Records Office” under the mailing address to speed delivery to the correct office within the prison.

  • The claimant’s name and FBOP register number in the request. The register number helps FBOP locate a prisoner’s records. Either request the register number from the claimant, or obtain the claimant’s register number using the FBOP’s online Inmate Locator tool at

  • A signed and dated SSA-827 (Authorization to Disclose Information to the Social Security Administration).

REMEMBER: Do not offer to pay for MER from federal sources, see DI 22505.040B.4.

C. Follow-up procedures

Initiate follow-up efforts if the DDS does not receive a response within two weeks. Follow standard MER follow-up request procedures at DI 22505.035.

To Link to this section - Use this URL:
DI 22505.026 - Procedures for Developing Evidence from the Federal Bureau of Prisons (FBOP) - 07/15/2013
Batch run: 03/10/2022