BASIC (04-00)

VB 05001.013 Close-Out Notice (Not SSA/FSP Service Area)

Document Identifier for Word Processor: TITLE 8 CLOSE-OUT OUTSIDE U.S. (OTHER THAN P.I.)

A. Exhibit letter

We are writing to tell you that we must receive a signed application before we can make a decision about your request for Special Veterans Benefits (SVB).

What To Do Next

You should complete and return the enclosed application right away so we can decide whether __(1)__ qualified for SVB. The sooner we get your signed application, the sooner we can make a decision about whether __(2)__ qualified.

You must file your application by (3) , for us to use _(4)_, the date of your request, as the filing date. Otherwise, we will use the date we receive the application as your filing date.

[Optional Paragraph—Form(s)]

You should also complete and return the enclosed form(s)


[Optional Paragraph--Evidence]

What We Need

If you file an application, we will need an original or certified copy of the following item(s). We cannot accept photocopies or copies signed by a notary public.

You should mail your signed application and these documents to us in the enclosed envelope. We will return the documents to you.

Even if you don't have all of the information we need, you should complete an application. We will help you get anything you do not have.


[Evidence of age]

We need a public or religious record of birth which was made before age 5. Please see the enclosed list entitled, “Instructions for Getting Proof of Age.”

[Evidence of military service]

We need evidence of the period of service in the U.S. military between September 16, 1940 and July 24, 1947. Or, evidence of service in the organized military forces of the Philippines between July 26, 1941 and December 30, 1946.

[Evidence of foreign residence]

We need evidence that _(1)_ residing outside the United States. This includes __(2)__ signed statement showing that __(3)__ established a residence outside the United States, the date this began, and that __(4)__ to continue to live there; and

We also need a document from both group number 1. and group number 2. below.

  1. __(5)__ passport which includes the page(s) showing entry date to the foreign country and exit date from the United States; or

    An airline ticket showing the date __(6)__ arrived in the foreign country of residence; and

  2. Documentation of the date __(7)__ began the new living arrangement, such as a lease agreement, rental/mortgage receipts, or a deed of purchase; or

    A signed statement from a local government official or other person saying that he or she knows __(8)__ residing outside the United States, where __(9)__ residing, when __(10)__ began residing there, and how he or she knows this information.

[Evidence of benefit income]

We need evidence (such as award notices or other statements) showing the amount of, and date of entitlement to, any benefit income _(1)_ receiving. Benefit income means an annuity, pension, retirement, or disability benefit. It includes any veterans' compensation or pension, workmen's compensation payment, old-age, survivors, or disability insurance benefit, railroad retirement annuity or pension, unemployment insurance benefit, or any other type of benefit income. It does not include a Supplemental Security Income payment. Please note that we do not need evidence of a U.S. Social Security benefit.

What Will Happen

If you complete an application, we will review the case and make a decision about whether _(5)_ qualified. If you disagree with what we decide, you will be able to appeal the decision. We will explain how you can appeal in our decision notice.

If You Have Questions or Need Help

  • If you live in Canada, you should contact any U.S. Social Security office.

  • If you live in Mexico, you should contact any U.S. Social Security office or the nearest United States Embassy or consulate.

  • If you live in any other country, you should contact the nearest United States Embassy or consulate.

If you visit an office, please bring this letter and the enclosed envelope with you.

Notice Fill-ins:

  1. (you are) or (veteran's name is)

  2. (you are) or (he is, she is)

  3. (Month/Day/Year) 60 days after the date of this notice

  4. (Month/Day/Year) (date of protective inquiry)

  5. (you are) or (veteran's name is)

Form(s) Paragraph Fil