Retention Date: March 31, 2021
This emergency message (EM) provides instructions on handling inquiries due to the resumption of all RECOOP billing notices starting January 11, 2021, which includes updated language and payment stub.
RECOOP is the billing and follow-up system responsible for all billable Title II and Title XVI overpayments. Some bills include a payment stub addressed to the Mid-Atlantic Program Service Center (MATPSC). We send RECOOP notices daily, approximately 17,000/month.
|Intended Audience:||All RCs/ARCs/ADs/FOs/TSCs/PSCs/OCO/OCO-CSTs/OHO/OARO|
|Originating Office:||DCBFM OFPO|
|Title:||Resumption of the Recovery and Collection of Overpayment Process (RECOOP) system Billing|
|Type:||EM - Emergency Messages|
|Program:||Title II (RSI); Title XVI (SSI)|
|Link To Reference:||See References at the end of this EM.|
Beginning March 23, 2020, the Remittance Accounting Unit (RAU) in the MATPSC was not onsite to process checks/money orders/credit card payments due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Not processing remittances at MATPSC creates a backlog, may lead to bounced checks, as the funds may no longer be available, and creates additional delinquent debt, as remittances are not timely applied to overpayments
On June 4, 2020, we implemented systems automation to temporarily stop sending RECOOP bills. On January 11, 2021, we will resume issuing our RECOOP billing notices. They will include updated coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic language, as well as the language for the ability to repay on Pay.gov with the Remittance ID and Pay.gov URL, see the Pay.gov AM-20053-SEN and instructions GN 02220.000.
In addition, when we resume RECOOP billing notices, we will start at the “Did You Forget” notice for overpayments not in an installment agreement and “Basic Bill” for overpayments in an installment agreement.
C. Updated Billing Remittance ID and Pay.gov URL language
Overpaid individuals who are active in RECOOP will receive a RECOOP billing notice with updated language that includes a newly created Remittance ID, the Pay.gov link (www.pay.gov/public/form/start/834689469), and an updated Payment Stub indicating ways to repay and the elimination of providing credit card information to pay SSA directly, as well as a new privacy act statement. The user can access the Pay.gov link directly, and input the required information, including the Remittance ID.
NOTE: The RECOOP Call-In and Final Statement notices do not include the updated language with a Remittance ID or Pay.gov URL or a payment stub.
D. Updated Billing Language due to coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic
The RECOOP notices with payment stubs and detachable coupons will have the following language. This language is not included in the “call-in” and “final statement” notices.
· Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, we paused the mailing of our billing notices. We are also experiencing delays in processing payments you may have sent us. We are working to process these payments and to return any stale dated checks. If you owe us a payment, please see the payment stub within this notice on ways you can repay. For your convenience, we now offer an online payment option.
The “call-in” notices will only include the below language.
· Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, we paused the mailing of our billing notices. We are also experiencing delays in processing payments you may have sent us. We are working to process these payments and to return any stale dated checks.
NOTE: The RECOOP Final Statement notices do not include the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic language.
E. Procedure for Handling Inquiries Related to the RECOOP Resumption
If you receive an inquiry about a debtor not receiving a bill, please take the following actions:
Direct all program-related and technical questions to your Regional Office (RO) support staff or Program Service Center (PSC) Operations Analysis (OA) staff. RO support staff or PSC OA staff may refer questions, concerns or problems to their Central Office contacts.
GN 00203.020 Identity of Claimants
GN 02210.218 Debtor Inquiry-DCR/DS Actions
1. Verify the debtor’s identity, see GN 00203.020.
2. Verify the debtor is currently in RECOOP billing status, see GN 02210.218.
3. Inform the debtor that he or she will start receiving bills again starting January 11, 2021.
4. Inform the debtor that he or she now has the option to repay securely, online via Pay.gov using the Remittance ID and Pay.gov URL located on the notice, see GN 02220.125C.
GN 02220.000 Internet Remittance Applications
GN 02220.125 How to Handle Inquires about Pay.gov for Programmatic Overpayments
AM 20053 Implementation of Pay.gov for Programmatic Overpayments
EM-20062 - Resumption of the Recovery and Collection of Overpayment Process (RECOOP) system Billing - 01/11/2021