Retention Date: 10/13/2023
|Intended Audience:||All RCs/ARCs/ADs/FOs/PSCs/OCO/OCO-CSTs|
|Originating Office:||DCO OPSOS|
|Title:||Lapse in SSA T2 and T16 Contracts with the California Employment Development Department (EDD)|
|Type:||EM - Emergency Messages|
|Link To Reference:||See References at the end of this EM.|
The purpose of this EM is to inform the field office (FO) and the processing center (PC) technicians of a lapse in the SSA’s T2 and T16 contracts with the California Employment Development Department (EDD) and to provide interim California EDD development instructions.
Based on the data exchange agreement between the SSA and the California EDD, the SSA can obtain the EDD payment verification through the SSA EDD Request website. This website provides a web-based system for requesting state disability, unemployment payment information, and other records from the California EDD for both T2 and T16 cases. This application is available to authorized users nationwide and is explained in POMS DI 52135.030H.
Current lapse in the T2 and T16 contracts with the California EDD. As such, the SSA cannot obtain payment records through the SSA EDD Request website until further notice.
Effective September 1, 2021 Due to T2 Contract Lapse:
There is no expected timeframe on T2 or T16 contract renewal. The Office of Acquisitions and Grants is discussing the contract with the Office of the General Counsel. Any change to the status will be shared as updates become available.
Effective January 1, 2023 due to T16 Contract Lapse:
D. Interim California EDD Development Instructions
Follow the interim EDD development instructions below to prevent improper payments.
1) Continue to process and develop for evidence as usual using other sources (i.e., the NH or representative) following guidelines and timeframes outlined in:
2) The NH remains the primary source of securing evidence of the State Disability Insurance (SDI) payments from the California EDD.
3) If the NH does not have evidence, advise the NH to obtain verifications through one or more of the following methods:
4) Always obtain evidence.
T2 EXCEPTION: If the NH alleges “no filing” of SDI from the California EDD, following DI 52140.001A.c, obtain the reason for not filing if the NH paid into SDI. Document the reason in the electronic folder (EF), if not already present.
When documentation is in the EF (e.g., DW01, RPOC, Paperless, etc.), accept the assumption that there is no SDI payment. No further verification is needed. Document the rationale in the EF.
NOTE: Allegations of denial or no payment from the California EDD do not meet this exception.
Direct all program-related and technical questions to your Regional Office (RO) support staff or Processing Center (PC) Operations Analysis (OA) staff. RO support staff or PC OA staff may refer questions or problems to their Central Office contacts.
For T16, if the NH alleges “no filing” of SDI from the California EDD,
following SI 00510.001 and SM 01305.065, the NH must file for other
benefits as a condition of the Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
5) As usual, document all contact attempts and retain all proofs.
6) If the NH is unable to obtain proof and provides a signed consent to SSA to contact the EDD, complete an SSA-1709, attach the signed consent, and mail to:
STATE OF CALIFORNIA
EMPLOYMENT DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT
INFORMATION SECURITY OFFICE (ISO)
PO BOX 826880, MIC 33
SACRAMENTO, CA 94280-0001
7) If no evidence is received after reasonable efforts to secure evidence
· For T2, follow policies listed above to impose Public Disability Benefit (PDB) offset at the maximum weekly SDI rates or leave the PDB offset in effect accordingly.
· For T16, follow SI 00510.001B.6 for impact on SSI payments for failure to file and SI 02301.235 for failure to provide information.
DI 52135.030 California Public Disability Benefits (PDB)
DI 52140.001 Field Office (FO) Responsibilities for Workers’ Compensation/Public Disability Benefit (WC/PDB) Offset
DI 52140.010 Processing Center (PC) Responsibilities for Processing Workers’ Compensation/Public Disability Benefit (WC/PDB) Offset
DI 52145.000 Verification of Proof of Workers' Compensation/Public Disability Benefit (WC/PDB)
Workers' Comp Resource Intranet Page
SI 00830.005 General Rules for Developing Unearned Income
SI 00830.250 State Disability Insurance Benefits
SI 00510.001 Overview of the Filing for Other Program Benefits Requirement
SM 01305.065 Nonpayment Due to Failure to Apply for and Obtain Other Benefits (N06) – Policy
SI 02301.235 Failure to Provide Information (N20)
EM-22011 REV - Lapse in SSA T2 and T16 Contracts with the California Employment Development Department (EDD) - 04/13/2023