The FO should visit the Virginia
Department of Health website for cost and payment information. Requests to obtain birth, marriage, and divorce records or to verify death information should be sent directly to the Virginia Department of Health, Office of Vital Records.
Request a Marriage/Divorce
Marriage/divorce records are also usually available from the Clerk of the Circuit Court in the county where the license was issued, or the divorce was granted. The cost of obtaining a copy of these records varies.
SSA can obtain a certified document to verify death using the following form on the Virginia Department of Health website: Office of
Vital Records – Vital Records (virginia.gov).
Request a Birth Record
When a birth record is needed, the FO should:
• Complete Form SSA-L706 (See GN 00302.070);
• Request identification from those applicants for whom we are forwarding requests for vital records information. SSA will use the primary and secondary identification documents listed on the Office of Vital Records website that the State Registrar requires;
• Include a photocopy of the identification document(s);
• Have the person whose information is being requested sign the SSA-L706 to authorize disclosure of the information; and
• Include payment and a self-addressed stamped return envelope.
NOTE: To verify by mail a suspect Virginia birth certificate submitted to SSA, provide a copy of both the front and back of the document to the Virginia State Vital Records Registrar. A number on the back of legitimate Virginia birth certificates helps Vital Records trace the document. There is a required payment for this request; please check the website for the vital records to determine the cost.