Retention Date: October 21, 2017
Certified Electronic Folder (CEF), Electronic Folder (EF) and Paper Cases
When SSA began deploying certified electronic folders in the early 2000s, most disability claims were paper. Electronic claims were the exception to the rule. Whenever a portion of the case was an electronic exclusion, the adjudicating office was required to print and file all documents in the paper folder. Cases were either electronic or paper.
The December 2015 EDCS/eView Release 32 provided functionality to add non-MSSICS claims (i.e., claims that for various reasons cannot be entered into MSSICS) in EDCS when a concurrent Title II claim was also filed or pending.
Effective 06/18/16, EDCS/eView Release 33 provides the ability to add non-MSSICS claims without a Title II claim. Also provided is functionality to add an appeal in EDCS even if earlier levels were paper. This functionality establishes an electronic folder, captures all current appeal level documentation, allows for electronic processing and reduces the risk of lost paper appeals.
Documents stored in a partial electronic disability case remain electronic. There is no need to print electronic documents and place them in the paper folder as previously instructed.
This new policy applies to:
|Intended Audience:||All RCs/ARCs/ADs/FOs/TSCs/PSCs/OCO/OCO-CSTs/|
|Originating Office:||ORDP ODP|
|Title:||EDCS/eView/EFI Print Documents Policy Instructions Will Follow Shortly|
|Type:||EM - Emergency Messages|
|Program:||Title II (RSI); Title XVI (SSI); Disability; Black Lung|
|Link To Reference:||See References at the end of this EM.|
· Concurrent cases using the same medical evidence–one claim is an EDCS exclusion, but the other is processed electronically; or
IMPORTANT: When all claims in a case convert to paper, all documents must be printed. For example, when the Disability Determination Service (DDS) closes a case without a determination and the “No Determination” reason is “Stop Electronic Processing,” all documents must be printed and added to the paper folder.
Exclusion: Multiple Pending Cases
Multiple pending cases are cases with a current pending CDR classification case and an initial classification claim at any level (initial, reconsideration, or hearing) pending at the same time. For example, a Title XVI Age 18 redetermination and a Title II DIB or CDB. Another example is a Title II CDR and a new DI claim or appeal. These cases are still paper folders, even though one of the cases can be worked electronically. Print all documents at case closure.
Hearing Level Cases:
When a partial paper case reaches the hearing level, the hearing office (HO) will:
· Non-MSSICS claims added to EDCS, at any adjudicative level, even if no Title II claim is available.
· Fax or scan documentation for the excluded (paper) claim into the electronic folder. This ensures all folder documentation is stored in the electronic folder at the hearing level. Documentation includes the application, development, notices, and decision.
Direct all program-related and technical questions to your Regional Office (RO) support staff or Program Service Center (PSC) Operations Analysis (OA) staff. RO support staff or PSC OA staff may refer questions, concerns, or problems to their Central Office contacts.
DI 81010.030 Certified Electronic Folder (CEF) Exclusions and Limitations
DI 81010.032 Sending an Electronic Disability Collect System (EDCS) Exclusion to the Disability Determination Services (DDS) after a Certified Electronic Folder (CEF) Has Been Established and Transferred
DI 81010.210 Electronic Continuing Disability Review (eCDR) Exclusions
DI 81020.055 Document Retention and Destruction
DI 81020.130 Electronic Case Closure
· Add a message in eView stating that all documents from the paper claim have been added to the electronic portion of the case. The message indicates all documents for the excluded claim are now stored in the electronic folder.
· Print and mail or fax a copy of the hearing decision for the excluded claim to alert the Field Office (FO) or PSC to process the decision.
EM-16021 - EDCS/eView/EFI Print Documents Policy Instructions Will Follow Shortly - 06/20/2016