Retention Date: July 19, 2017
|Intended Audience:||All RCs/ARCs/ADs/FOs/PSCs/OCO/OCO-CSTs/FSPs|
|Originating Office:||ORDP OISP|
|Title:||Processing Instructions for 7003.2 Cases – One-Time-Only Instructions|
|Type:||EM - Emergency Messages|
|Program:||Records Maintenance (Earnings & Enumeration)|
|Link To Reference:||See References at the end of this EM|
Retention Date: January 19, 2017
This Emergency Message (EM) provides you with instructions on processing cases involving missing Numident information due to the use of the SSA Form CO-7003.2, “Request for Change in Your Social Security Records,” for a name change that occurred before January 2011.
SSA Form CO-7003.2 was an optional form used by new spouses to change their names with SSA through their employers. Employees used these forms when they married and wanted to update their names with both their employer and with SSA. When the form was submitted, parents’ names, and place of birth (POB), or both, were not required fields on the form. When the information was entered into the system, Numident iterations were created without these pieces of information. Now, due to Claims Enumeration Mini-Path and Autoclear (CEMA), we are not able to process some claims because required data elements are missing on the most recent iteration, but are visible on prior Numident iterations. When the Field Offices are unable to process a claim because the Numident is missing the Number Holder’s (NH’s) parents’ names and POB due to the use of Form SSA CO-7003.2, please follow these instructions:
NOTE: Since other internal and external sources rely on the Numident to verify Social Security number data, it is important that the data on the latest Numident reflect the most up-to-date data for each NH.
C. Processing instructions
Effective immediately, use the following instructions to process cases involving missing Numident information due to the use of the SSA Form CO-7003.2. These instructions will assist you in correctly updating the parents’ names and POB fields on the number holder’s Numident:
1. Retrieve and print the complete Numident query.
2. Establish a Numident Correction Process (NCP) Holding file (if not already established) per RM 10220.415D.
3. Determine the latest Numident entry that contains the place of birth and parent’s name(s).
4. Request the SS5 microprint(s) for the identified Numident iterations to verify information shown on the Numident iteration per RM 10220.365.
5. Place the pre-corrected (old) Numident, the microprints and any supporting documents in the NCP Holding File per instructions in RM 10220.415D.2.
6. Access the Numident Update Screens via SSN