Retention Date: August 22, 2019
|Intended Audience:||All RCs/ARCs/ADs/FOs/PSCs|
|Originating Office:||DCO OPSOS|
|Title:||PSC Processing of Windfall Offset Diaries—Instructions Will Follow Shortly|
|Type:||EM - Emergency Messages|
|Program:||Title XVI (SSI)|
|Link To Reference:|
Retention Date: November 22, 2015
Retention Date: April 22, 2015
Revision: We are revising the EM to provide updated instructions regarding Phase II of the SSI windfall offset diaries pilot. Payment Service Center (PSC) technicians are now working 7W diaries and e4345 requests for automated windfall offset computations meeting the pilot screening criteria.
This emergency message (EM) announces the expansion of the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) windfall offset diaries pilot. Effective December 2013, all PSCs and Office of Disability Operations (ODO) are participating in the pilot. With this expanded process, PSC technicians will work selected 5W, 7W, 9W, 2L, and A9 diaries, as well as e4345 requests for automated windfall offset computations meeting the pilot screening criteria. Field Office (FO) employees should continue to use the ChiNet SSI Diary Workload Control Application and the e4345 application to identify actionable windfall offset workload. All other aspects of FO windfall offset diary processing remain the same.
B. NEPSC and NYRO SSI windfall offset diaries pilot
In October 2013, the Northeastern (NE)PSC and the New York Regional Office (NYRO) began a pilot in which benefit authorizers processed certain SSI windfall offset diaries with the following characteristics:
Servicing FOs continue to process 5W, 9W, 2L, and A9 windfall offset diaries that do not meet all of the above characteristics, and all other offset-related diaries.
The pilot phased in for all PSCs and ODO in November and December 2013.
· The diary code is 5W, 9W, 2L, or A9;
· The SSR record type is “individual” (no “eligible couple” cases);
· The windfall offset is only on one Supplemental Security Income record (SSR);
· Cases are from designated NY Region FOs; and
· The windfall offset computation can be automated.
C. Phase II Expansion
Effective March 2014, NEPSC and NYRO entered Phase II of the SSI windfall offset diaries pilot. PSC technicians are now working 7W diaries with the following characteristics:
The 7W selection is programmed into the NY Automated Diary process. The 7W diaries are introduced with each PSC’s weekly Paperless Processing Center (PPC) load of pilot diaries. Servicing FOs will continue to process 7W windfall offset diaries that do not meet all of the above characteristics.
PSC technicians are also completing the following e4345 requests in Phase II of the Pilot:
· SSR shows a completed offset (WIN:F) and a T2 claim has been adjudicated and is awaiting windfall offset, or if a 5W diary is also pending, a windfall offset is pending for two different T2 CANs;
· Windfall offset period is contained on one SSR;
· SSR is not an eligible couple; and
· Windfall offset can be automated.
In recent enhancements to the e4345 application, pilot cases will be assigned to the PSC pilot sites based on the geographical location of the servicing FO. The e4345 application will use the “PC Pilot SSI” routing table to determine which PSC to assign the e4345 with the following exception:
· SSRs that are NIF;
· SSRs in T50 or T51 payment status;
· SSRs which are RN:1x1 and contain no WIN data or WIN:F and Windfall offset diary not present; and
· SSR contains windfall offset diary under PC pilot jurisdiction.
D. PSC Pilot Sites business process for 5W, 7W, 9W, 2L and A9 diaries
This offset pilot required changes to the normal business process for FO and PSC employees. The following information provides instructions for completing this workload.
NYRO developed an automated process to screen all 5W, 7W, 9W, 2L, and A9 diaries to differentiate diaries selected for PSC processing from diaries reserved for FO processing. The new business process steps are:
· If the SSR is NIF, the e4345 request will be assigned to the pilot location of the initiating PSC.
PSC personnel can use the ChiNet website to identify the list of diaries that the NY Region identified as being PSC jurisdiction.
E. PSC Pilot site windfall offset diary distributions
1. Each Tuesday, the automated process identifies new PC windfall offset diary receipts;
2. The PPC system and Program Center Action Control System (PCACS) establish Action Control Record (ACRs);
3. A file is sent to Atlanta containing a list of all the pending PSC SSI diaries for population to the e4345 SSI diary listing;
4. An automated process reads the ACRs into PCACS with TOEL OFFSET WINFALL DIARY ALRT-SP;
5. PSC employees involved in the pilot process the windfall offset diaries; and
6. PSC pilot sites refer windfall offset diaries they cannot process (e.g., SSI appeal reversal not yet effected) for field processing via the e4345 application SSI Diaries listing. PSC technicians will mark the case as “Unable to Be Worked” and the diary will return to the FO jurisdiction in the ChiNet SSI Diary Workload Control Application listing the following week.
Windfall offset diaries are currently distributed to PSC pilot sites based on geographical location of servicing FO. Distributions are as follows:
Direct all program related and technical questions to your RO support staff or PSC OAS staff. RO support staff or PSC OAS staff may refer questions or problems to their Central Office contacts.
· NEPSC New York, Boston and Denver Region diaries
· MATPSC Philadelphia Region diaries and Seattle Region diaries
· SEPSC Atlanta Region diaries (Areas 1-5 and Area 9)
· GLPSC Chicago Region diaries
· WNPSC San Francisco Region diaries
· MAMPSC Kansas City and Dallas Region diaries (Areas 1 through 5)
· ODO Atlanta Region diaries (Areas 6, 7 and 8), Dallas Region (Area 6)
NOTE: Any subsequent changes to the SSI diary assignments will be distributed.
EM-14016 REV - PSC Processing of Windfall Offset Diaries—Instructions Will Follow Shortly - 10/22/2014