Retention Date: June 21, 2022
|Intended Audience:||All RCs/ARCs/ADs/FOs/TSCs/PSCs/OCO|
|Originating Office:||DCO OCO OEIO DTPS|
|Title:||Sending Modernized Development Worksheets (MDWs) to Foreign Service Posts (FSPs)|
|Type:||EM - Emergency Messages|
|Link To Reference:||See Reference at the end of this EM|
This emergency message provides instructions for sending MDWs to request assistance from FSPs.
SSA provides service to clients overseas through 21 Federal Benefits Units (FBUs) located in embassies and consulates worldwide. We refer to all other Foreign FSPs as non-claims-taking posts (NCTPs). Under an interagency agreement established in 2017 between SSA and the Department of State, NCTPs only perform work for SSA at the request of the FBUs.
C. Instructions for Field Offices (FOs), Processing Centers (PCs), and Teleservice Centers (TSCs)
Do not send MDWs to NCTPs. Send requests for assistance to the FBU that serves the country in question. You can obtain FBU contact information for sending requests for assistance by accessing the following link.
|Manila Region||DOC||Mexico City Region||DOC||San Jose Region||DOC|
|Manila||382||Mexico City||021||San Jose||637|
|Tokyo||WX9||Ciudad Juarez||091||Buenos Aires||D84|
There are three FBUs in Mexico; each serve assigned states. Use this chart to determine which FBU serves the client’s address:
Baja California Sur
México Distrito Federal
San Luis Potosí
There is no FBU in Canada. Domestic SSA field offices service the Canadian provinces. Refer to the following site for the Canadian Service Area Directory:
Canadian Service Area Directory (ssa.gov)
F. How to Use the Request for Assistance Process
Utilize the PCACS Request for Assistance for all initial routine development requests to the FBU.
· Send the request via PCACS. (see GN 01070.420 C)
· The PCACS Request for Assistance includes a space for a requester phone number that the FBU can contact if additional information is required. If a reply by fax would be appropriate, include the fax number in the text of the request.
· Show two or three key-words at the start of the text of requests made via PCACS, describing the development issue. This assists the FBU in assigning the request to the proper discipline.
· Provide procedural references to justify the development.
· Advise the FBU if DIRCON has been attempted. If it wasn't, explain why not. If it was, briefly outline the actions taken previously to secure the information and the outcome of those attempts. This will make it clear to the FBU that procedures have been followed.
· Provide text explaining the request.
Direct all program-related and technical questions to your Regional Office (RO) support staff. RO support staff may refer questions or problems to their Central Office contact.
GN 01070.420 C Modes of Requesting Assistance
EM-21076 - Sending Modernized Development Worksheets (MDWs) to Foreign Service Posts (FSPs) - 12/21/2021