TN 33 (08-21)

GN 02250.255 Documents to Support a Request for Waiver of Overpayment Recovery


A. Supporting Documents

The overpaid person is responsible for providing proof of income, household expenses, and assets and the income and assets for his or her spouse and dependents, if any. The supporting documents should be no older than 3 months from the date the person requests a waiver. The overpaid person can provide canceled checks, money orders, or credit card statements to verify his or her expenses. Expenses not requiring proof are food and miscellaneous household expenses, unless the expenses seem unusually high. In some cases, a reasonable explanation of the expense can serve as proof. For example, a person with an unusually large food expense may need a special diet for medical purposes.

Section 834 of the Bipartisan Budget (BBA) Act of 2015 (Public Law 114-74), "Access to Financial Information for Waivers and Adjustment of Recovery." The law requires us to obtain an overpaid person's authorization to access financial account information to assist with a defeats the purpose waiver determination.

B. List of supporting documents

Below is a list of acceptable documents to support the waiver request.

Type of information Acceptable documents

1. Income:

Self-employment, Wages, Pension, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Child Support, Alimony, etc.
  • Pay stubs

  • Tax return

  • Award letter for the current year

  • Notification letter for the current year

  • Earnings Query web application

2. Expenses:

Rent or Mortgage, Utilities (water, gas, electric, telephone, internet, etc.), Property Tax, Insurance (life, fire, homeowner, etc,) Medical, Dental, Tuition, School, etc.
  • Rent receipts, mortgage payment books

  • Utility bills

  • Insurance bills

  • Evidence of any unusually large expenses

3. Assets:

Checking, Savings, Online Accounts, Certificate of Deposit (CD), Individual Retirements Accounts (IRA); Money or Mutual Funds, Stocks, Bonds, Trust Funds, Prepaid Debit Cards
  • Canceled checks, money order, bank statements, credit card statements

  • Savings bonds

  • Stock certificates or statements

  • Bond certificates or statements

4. Other:

Income from real estate or a business, Support from an organization or person, Room and board payments from a person who is not a dependent, Income from assets, etc.
  • Tax return - Helps determine number of dependents

  • Proof of payment due - When a person shows fixed payment which seem to be over the minimum amount due.

  • Proof of support by other people - Provide a signed statement from the person or organization who provides the support.

To Link to this section - Use this URL:
GN 02250.255 - Documents to Support a Request for Waiver of Overpayment Recovery - 08/18/2021
Batch run: 08/18/2021