NL 00705.530 Prisoner Model Letter U—Incarceration Related Impairment—DIB Freeze Established

Prepare on SSA-L-951 C2/U2.


Social Security Notice




                              Claim Number:


You are not entitled to disability benefits but we have established a period of disability for you beginning              .

Our records show that your disability is based on an impairment connected with your confinement in a jail, prison, or other penal institution or correctional facility due to conviction of a felony.

The records also show that you committed the felony after October 19, 1980. In this situation, the Social Security law allows impairment connected with confinement to be considered in establishing a period of disability, but not for payment of benefits for any month you are confined. This includes an impairment that arose during the confinement. It also includes the aggravation of an impairment if the aggravation occurred during confinement. Where the jurisdiction does not classify any crime as a felony, we apply these provisions to confinement for a crime which can be punished by death or by imprisonment for more than one year.

The period of disability established for you is important. It protects your right to benefits when you are released if you are still disabled at that time. It also protects future benefit rights of your dependents and survivors. If you were furnishing one-half support to a parent when your period of disability began, proof of this support should be submitted without delay. Failure to do so may cause your parent to be ineligible for benefits at a later date.

If you believe that this determination is incorrect, you may request that your case be reexamined. If you want this reconsideration, you must request it not later than 60 days from the date you receive this notice. You may make your request through any Social Security office. If additional evidence is available, you should submit it with your request. Please read the enclosed leaflet for a full explanation of your right to question the determination on your claim.

If you do not request reconsideration of your case within the prescribed time period, you still have the right to file another application at any time.

If you have questions about your claim, you may get in touch with any Social Security office. Most questions can be handled by telephone or mail.


SSA Publication No. 70-10058

To Link to this section - Use this URL:
NL 00705.530 - Prisoner Model Letter <Quote>U</Quote>&mdash;Incarceration Related Impairment&mdash;DIB Freeze Established - 06/18/2010
Batch run: 04/14/2014