TN 28 (09-15)

GN 00308.022 Georgia Vital Records

A. Process

The Georgia State Office of Vital Records has divorce and marriage records recorded since June 9, 1952 and no certified copies are available. Divorce records are available from the Clerk of the Superior Court in the county where the divorce was granted. Marriage records are available from the Probate Court in the county where the license was issued. The cost of the copies varies. If you need a marriage, death or birth record send your request to the County Clerk provided by the vital records office.

B. Procedure for verifying records and obtaining a certified copy.

1. Birth and death records

The Atlanta Field Office (FO) can verify a birth or death record. You must send the electronic form SSA-562 (E-562) to FO code 600 requesting the verification. However, you must use the Electronic Verifications of Vital Events (EVVE) system for births from 1985 and continuing before contacting the FO. If you need a certified copy, the FO cannot obtain a free copy. You can request a copy by directly submitting a request to the Georgia Vital Records located at:

Vital Records

Atlanta, GA 30349

(404) 679-4701

You can find the most up-to-date cost information from the Georgia Vital Records website. In addition, you can find EIN information at the Office of Financial Policy and Operations TPPS Vital Records EINs page.

2. Marriage and divorce records

FOs should send requests for marriage and divorce records directly to the State. Information on this can be found at Georgia Department of Public Health.

To Link to this section - Use this URL:
GN 00308.022 - Georgia Vital Records - 10/12/2017
Batch run: 10/12/2017