Before July 1942, this unit existed as the 14th Infantry of the Philippine Commonwealth
Army. In July 1942, authorization was given for this unit to form the 14th Infantry
of the U.S. Army.
Because the unit was organized haphazardly and not subject to the usual U.S. military
control, the Department of the Army instituted the 14th Infantry Review Program in
1953. It reviewed the status of all unit members and determined that only those members
who were inducted or present for duty on or before July 14, 1942 retained their AUS
(Army of the United States) status.
The status of those individuals entering after that date was revoked. Those individuals
were notified by letter and requested to return their AUS discharge certificates.
However, many did not and, as a result, an individual may have discharge papers even
though the Army Administration Center records show no active military service.