Basic (09-22)

DI 33095.130 Notice of Disability Hearing Decision (Foreign Claims) (Reproduced Locally)

A. Notice preparation

Prepare and release foreign claims disability hearing decision cover notices using the language in the disability hearing decision cover notices in DI 33095.102 - DI 33095.116 as guides. Substitute the following special foreign claims paragraphs where appropriate.

B. Notice language

Your Right To Appeal

You have 60 days to appeal in writing after you get this notice. If you wait more than 60 days, we will not hold a hearing unless you have a good reason.

The Administrative Law Judge Hearing

If you appeal, your case will be assigned to an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ). The ALJ will send you a notice of the time, date and place of the hearing. However, since no provision has been made for hearings to be held outside the United States, you would have to come to the United States at your own expense.

The hearing is informal. At the hearing the ALJ will:

  • Review the facts of your case;

  • Explain the law;

  • State what must be decided; and

  • Ask you or your witnesses questions about your case.

At the hearing, you may:

  • Come in person to explain why you believe that you are still disabled;

  • Be represented by a lawyer or other person;

  • Bring witnesses or other information which you believe shows you are still disabled; and

  • Ask witnesses questions about information given at the hearing.

If you decide not to go to the hearing, you still can give the ALJ more information about your case. The ALJ will decide your case using all of the information.

Need More Help Or Want To Appeal?

  1. 1. 

    Visit for fast, simple, and secure online service.

  2. 2. 

    If you are in the United States, American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands, call us at 1-800-772-1213. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call TTY 1-800-325-0778.

  3. 3. 

    You may also call your local Social Security office.

If you are outside the United States or its territories:

  • If you are in Canada, visit *F1 to find the office that services your area.

  • Contact your nearest Federal Benefits Unit (FBU). Visit *F2 for a list of FBUs.

  • Write to the Social Security Administration at:

    P.O. Box 17769 Baltimore, Maryland 21235-7769, USA

If you contact us, please refer to this letter. It will help us answer your questions.


How are we doing? Go to to tell us.



F1 –

F2 –

To Link to this section - Use this URL:
DI 33095.130 - Notice of Disability Hearing Decision (Foreign Claims) (Reproduced Locally) - 09/08/2022
Batch run: 09/08/2022