TN 1 (06-20)

RM 03844.009 Making Direct Telephone Calls to Redevelop Certain Earnings Discrepancy Cases

  1. A. 

    Redevelop earnings discrepancy cases via telephone under the following conditions:

    1. 1. 

      The earnings discrepancy (ED) must be one which normally would be returned to a field office for redevelopment.

    2. 2. 

      The information or documentation required must be of a nature that can be requested in a brief telephone conversation.

  2. B. 

    Telephone calls may be made only by coverage technicians or earnings certification technicians qualified to discuss earnings discrepancy cases with district office personnel.

  3. C. 

    All telephone calls should be made in accordance with the “District/ Branch Office Telephone Directory,” “Federal Telecommunications System,” “Telephone Users Guide,” and the “SSA Telephone Directory.”

  4. D. 

    Telephone calls should not be made between the 3rd and 7th of any month.

  5. E. 

    The field office called need not be the resident office.

  6. F. 

    Talk with one of the following persons in the order given:

    1. 1. 

      Operations supervisor

    2. 2. 

      Assistant manager

    3. 3. 


      NOTE: When calling a branch office, ask for the branch manager.

  7. G. 

    In those instances where none of the above mentioned persons are available, ask the person with whom you are talking to record the details of the request and give the information to the appropriate supervisory person.

  8. H. 

    The following information must be transmitted in each case:

    1. 1. 

      Caller's name, location, and telephone number.

    2. 2. 

      Give reason for calling, i.e., “Earnings Discrepancy Case.”

    3. 3. 

      Request the data required to complete the case.

  9. I. 

    Document the telephone conversation and include it with the case.

  10. J. 

    Place the case in the diary file until a reply is received or 30 calendar days have elapsed.

  11. K. 

    If a reply is received, further process the case per established procedure.

  12. L. 

    If a reply is not received, and 30 calendar days have elapsed, take the following action:

    1. 1. 

      Call the district or branch office and obtain a status report on the case.

    2. 2. 

      If the requested information will be furnished, hold the case an additional 15 calendar days.

    3. 3. 

      If the requested information cannot be furnished, ask for documentation for the file and hold the case for an additional 15 calendar days.

    4. 4. 

      If the requested information will not be furnished or the 15 additional calendar days (see 2. or 3. above) have elapsed, send a development request to the appropriate district or branch office per RM 03803.055.

To Link to this section - Use this URL:
RM 03844.009 - Making Direct Telephone Calls to Redevelop Certain Earnings Discrepancy Cases - 12/20/1989
Batch run: 06/18/2020