TN 8 (02-17)

GN 05002.220 Replacement Social Security Benefit Statement

A. Procedure for requesting a replacement Social Security Benefit Statement

SSA mails the Form SSA-1099 and Form SSA-1042S (Social Security Benefit Statement) first class between January 3 and 24 each year for delivery by January 31. However, in the event that a beneficiary requests a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, he or she may use any of the options listed in this section, GN 05002.220, after January 31.

1. Using SSA’s my Social Security (mySSA) website

This website allows mySSA Internet Users (IUs) to view, print, save, or mail a replacement Social Security Benefit Statement for the prior tax year( for example, IUs can request a Tax Year 2014 Form SSA-1099 after January 31, 2015). We issue replacement Social Security Benefit Statements as a Form SSA-1099-R-OP1 or SSA-1042S-R-OP1.

NOTE: Replacement Social Security Benefit Statements are available through mySSA to:

  • Title II only,

  • Title II and Title XVI (concurrent), and

  • Title II and Title XVIII claimants.

This does not include Title XVI only, Title XVIII only, and individuals who cannot create an account.

IUs not registered for mySSA need to successfully register and pass authentication to create an account. To create the account, the IU needs to complete the following steps:

  • Select “Sign In,”

  • Select “Create an Account,”

  • Provide some personal information to verify identity (this is a secured site), and

  • Choose a username and password.

NOTE: See OA 00210.010 and OA 00210.020 for more information about mySSA registration process.

After obtaining access to mySSA, the IU will complete the following steps to request the statement:

  1. a. 

    Agree to the legal acknowledgement,

  2. b. 

    Select “Replacement Documents” tab,

  3. c. 

    Choose “View/Print/Save Your Replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S” link from this screen, or

  4. d. 

    Select the “Notice 703” link (the IRS worksheet) for the SSA-1099, if needed. This screen also directs the IU to refer to IRS Publication 915 for more information on federal income tax rules for Social Security benefits or if the beneficiary receives a SSA-1042S, or

  5. e. 

    Choose the “request a copy of your SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S by mail” link. We will send it to the address on file with us. The IU should allow 10 days for receipt or 30 days if the beneficiary lives outside the United States.

NOTE: Users will not be able to request a replacement form from mid-December through January 31 each year.

2. Calling SSA’s National 800 Number (N8NN)

Beneficiaries may call SSA’s N8NN at 1-800-772-1213 between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday to request a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042s.

3. Visiting or calling our local field offices (FOs)

If the beneficiary visits the FO or calls to replace his or her benefit statement:

  • Follow the policy for identifying claimants in GN 03380.005, and

  • verify the beneficiary’s complete mailing address, including city, state and zip code;

  • then replace the Social Security Benefit Statement as appropriate by either:

    1. a. 

      Obtaining an online Query by selecting the 1099 (Benefit Statement) option on the SSA Master File Query Menu and printing the query to the beneficiary along with a SSA-1099-F2-INST (Benefit Statement Instruction Sheet). NOTE: This Instruction Sheet includes IRS Notice 703. For a Master File Online Queries-Overview, see MSOM QUERIES 003.001. For a copy of the SSA-1099-F2-INST along with the IRS 703 publication, see OS 15010.515.

    2. b. 

      Requesting a replacement benefit statement from Central Office following MSOM QUERIES 003.009.

    3. c. 

      Informing the beneficiary he or she is able to request a replacement through the internet by using my Social Security (mySSA) website. This allows a user to view and print immediately as well as request a replacement statement in the mail. For details on requesting a replacement through mySSA, see GN 05002.220A.

To Link to this section - Use this URL:
GN 05002.220 - Replacement Social Security Benefit Statement - 01/30/2015
Batch run: 02/02/2017