SI NY02003.080 - IAR Payment Pending Case - State Due Payment (RTS 371 - 06/2003)
Section 213 of Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996, P.L. 104-193 became effective on 12/01/96. It requires that, in certain situations, the FO must secure the amount of retroactive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits that should be paid to the State, prior to releasing any underpayment or portion of any underpayment to the recipient. Included in the legislation are: "dedicated accounts for large underpayments" and "installment payments of large past-due retroactive benefits" (POMS SI 01130.601 and SI 02101.010ff). In these situations, special procedures are required involving the form: SSA-8125 - IAR Payment Pending Case (IARPPC) - State Due Payment (SDP) - Priority Handling.
1. Initial IAR Information Request - SSA-8125-IARPPC-SDP
The FO requests a completed SSA-8125-IAR PAYMENT PENDING CASE-STATE DUE PAYMENT (SDP) - PRIORITY HANDLING via fax. This SSA-8125-SDP should be returned to the FO within 15 working days of the request; (the form gives 10 working days). The fax should be sent, based on the Grant Reimbursement (GR) Code, to the local municipality.
NOTE: Send only the pertinent pages of the form; pages with recipient specific data.
2. Second Request - SSA-8125-IARPPC-SDP
If no response is received after the 15 working days, the FO should fax a second request to the same location marked: SSA-8125-IARPPC-SDP - SECOND REQUEST. (Indicate the date of the initial request). FOs may wish to contact the Municipal Welfare Director in their service area to discuss faxing the second request to a specific individual. In addition, second requests should also be faxed to one of the following:
(1) New Jersey Division of Family Development (NJDFD) - Bureau of Business Services - fax (609) 588-2257.
(2) New Jersey Division of Mental Health Services (DMHS) - fax (609) 777-0673.
(3) County Psychiatric Hospitals: Camden County - fax - (609) 227-7030 and Essex County - fax - (201) 228-0674.
3. Third Request - SSA-8125 -IARPPC-SDP
If no response is received 10 working days, from the date of the second request, the FO should fax a third request to all of the same locations marked: SSA-8125-IARPPC-SDP - THIRD REQUEST. (Indicate the dates of the two prior requests). In addition, copies of the third request should also be faxed to: Program Operations Center ATT: IAR Coordinator - fax - (212) 264-2071.
4. SSA-8125-IARPPC-SDP Response Received
Upon receipt of the SSA-8125-IARPPC-SDP, the FO will:
(1) Issue the IAR payment to the State via systems input.
(2) Sign and date the form and fax a copy of the completed SSA-8125-IARPPC-SDP to the POC at (212) 264-2071 - Attn: IAR Coordinator. NOTE: This is required for accounting purposes and is a record of the money that SSA sent to the State Agency.
5. Couple's Cases - Start Date
All FOs must be very careful when creating a Start date record that the first check released by the system to welfare is the retroactive check and no