GN 00904.060 Forwarding Claims And Related Materials To The New Resident Office - Guide For Development Clerks

A. Claimant change of address notification

We may be notified that the claimant is or will be moving during the development of the initial claim by one of the following:

  1. 1. 

    SSA-612-EV (Report of New Information in Disability Cases), or

  2. 2. 

    SSA-1625-EV (Report by Person Entitled to Special Payments), or

  3. 3. 

    SSA-8150-EV (Reporting Events—SSI)

  4. 4. 

    Other appropriate signed statements.

B. Procedure

1. Claims pending in DO

  1. a. 

    Transfer the entire claims file to the new resident office immediately.

  2. b. 

    For RSDHI claims the transferring office will prepare the SSA-450 for the receiving office to transmit immediately upon receipt to notify central office of the transfer of the certified earnings record. This is done by the DRT. The SSA-450 should be the topmost form of the file being transferred.


    When the only remaining claim development necessary is in the area serviced by your office, the claim should be retained until adjudication action has been completed, including preparation of the award form and transmittal of award to the PSC or ODO.

  3. c. 

    If an SSI claim is being transferred, case control input is required.

2. Claim no longer pending in DO

  1. a. 

    Give change of address notice to a service representative for processing unless the notice has been referred to the CR for handling.

  2. b. 

    If a claimant or beneficiary notifies us he/she will change address at some future date, the file will not be transferred until the effective date of the change of address.

C. Procedure for sending RSDI material to DIO when it is the resident office

  1. 1. 

    If the beneficiary notifies the DO of change of address to a country for which the DIO is resident office (that is, there are no claimants or beneficiaries on the same SSN residing in the 50 States, D.C., Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, Canada, or the Philippines), send the notification to the servicing PSC or ODO as appropriate. Upon receipt of the change of address notice, the servicing PSC or ODO will forward the claims file to DIO.

  2. 2. 

    When a beneficiary or claimant returns to the United States from a foreign country serviced by DIO and a claim is in process, DIO will send the complete claims file to the new resident office. The DO will handle the claim as the resident office and send all material to the appropriate reviewing office upon completion of all remaining development.

To Link to this section - Use this URL:
GN 00904.060 - Forwarding Claims And Related Materials To The New Resident Office - Guide For Development Clerks - 06/13/2014
Batch run: 06/13/2014