TN 51 (03-20)

GN 00308.235 U.S. Citizens Born Abroad (With U.S. Citizenship at Birth) Vital Records

Procedures - State Sources

1. Address

Birth Records Only

U.S. Department of State
Passport Vital Records Section
44132 Mercure Cir
PO Box 1213
Sterling, VA 20166-1213

2. Cost of Copy:

  • Consular Report of Birth (FS-240) — $50.00

  • Certification of Witness to Marriage — $50.00

  • Report of Death of a U.S. Citizen Abroad (DS-2060)— $50.00

As of December 31, 2010, the Department of State no longer issues the Certificate of Report of Birth (DS-1350).

NOTE: You can find the most up-to-date information, including instructions about notarization requirements, from the Department of State. EIN information is 53-0200682.

3. Type of Payment:

Check, bank draft from a U.S. bank or money order payable to “Department of State.” Response time is 4 - 8 weeks.

4. Remarks:

Can FO obtain a free copy of birth/death record? Yes, but only if the conditions in GN 00301.210 are met for SSA purchase of evidence. The request must be on SSA letterhead, and the requestor should specify in their request letter they are requesting a “For Government Use Only” record. In addition, a photocopy of the requestor’s HSPD-PIV card must be provided with the request. The document received from the Department of State (DOS) will be marked as “Government Use Only” or “For SSA Use Only.”

The public must write directly to the address in GN 00308.235(1) and pay the required fee. The public may call DOS at (877) 487-2778. The State Department requires a copy of a valid photo identification and a signed, notarized request.


To Link to this section - Use this URL:
GN 00308.235 - U.S. Citizens Born Abroad (With U.S. Citizenship at Birth) Vital Records - 03/12/2020
Batch run: 03/12/2020